Whether you are just starting out or a seasoned runner, trail running requires consistent training in order to continue progressing and prevent injury.
Here are 6 exercises by TheFTR running coach Erin Storck that will improve your balance, stability, and core strength, all critical aspects to maneuvering the constantly changing trail terrain.
Try these trail running exercises 3 times a week, and follow the links to learn proper form!
1. Single Leg Squats: 8-10 reps each leg: x3 sets
• Progression: Bosu ball pistol squat
2. Stability Disk (dyna disk) Single Leg Balance: 30s balance each leg: x 3 sets
• Progression: Stability disk standing side leg raises/ knee raises
3. Box Jumps: 10-12 reps: x3 sets
• Progression: Increase box height
4. Plank Series: 1 min prone elbow plank, 30s side plank rotation: x3 sets
Progression: Weighted plank
5. Straight Leg Bridge: 10-12 reps each leg: x3 sets
• Progression: Elevate feet to bench or box
6. Lateral Lunges: 10-12 reps each direction: x3 sets
• Banded lateral lunge